June 13, 2011

Craigslist Find - Chair Reveal


I finally finished my chair makeover and I am in LOVE with it!
Read from the beginning here.

I started sanding the chair to try to rough up the super glossy green paint.  It was not going well and barely making a difference, so I jumped ship.  I have read about chemical sanding, which I think I will look into trying on future products.  Since I did not end up sanding, I decided to use Rust-Oleum primer and paint.  I used one coat of primer and then two thin coats of white spray paint with a satin finish. I am not sure whether or not I will put a clear coat on or not but for now we are going to test the durability as is.

I reupholstered the chair cushion in Ash and White Zig Zag that I found on etsy.  I would highly recommend Hodi and Poppi Fabrics...super fast shipping!  The total for the fabric with shipping was $13.75.

I simply stretched the fabric around the existing cushion and used a staple gun to secure it to the back.  After the chair was dry, I screwed the seat back onto the frame and recovered the bottom, using the staple gun, with the same black fabric for a finished look.

A reminder of what the chair looked like before.


TA DA!



Cost Breakdown:
Chair - $10
Primer & Paint - Less than $15
Fabric - $13.75
Total Cost - Under $30 for a custom chair!

5 comments:

  1. Best... Chair... Ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe this cost you less than $30~ looks like such an expensive chair. Great job!

    -Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chair! I've got a stack of chairs that need some redoing, but the ones that have seats will be first on the list.

    Thank you for stopping by www.theoldblockhouse.blogspot.com

    Now following.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one in love! (c: It turned out fantastic! The chevron is such a perfect fabric choice and the white is so clean and gorgeous...great reveal!

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011